Vincent P Ktd

Verified Reviewer

Because they are a great company to order from and have amazing payment plans for people who maybe can't afford the equipment all at once.

I have had nothing but good experiences with this company. I'm still paying off two items that I bought and got a loan on and so far it is made things so much easier on me to have it broken down into small payments and I'm just so grateful that something like this exists.

Not everybody can afford to buy instruments and such outright all the time but still want to get their talents and have the right to do so with this company and their payment options. Not to mention the zero interest loans and the fact that the equipment is brand new and still comes with the warranty. I plan on using them until I feel like I have all of the equipment that I need for my own personal setup.

Before I knew about this website I really didn't think that I would be able to hop back into music for a while and would have to save up a lot of money to buy instruments and then one of my friends told me about how it works and I've gotten quite a few things from them so far that were really fairly priced and helped me get back into the game without breaking my wallet. I highly recommend using this site!

So I see a lot of these other reviews and I just can't help but leave this review as a good review because this website has really helped me get my music game going again and the payments are really cheap.

I honestly feel like most of the complaints are coming from people that didn't make the payments or just want patient enough to wait for the item to arrive. Both items that I've ordered through this website actually came up a few days early and were excellently boxed and in great condition when I opened them. I'm not saying all of the bad reviews aren't valid, but I feel like a lot of it has to do with lack of patience and people just not keeping up on their loans.

Which they should be grateful that they were even able to get those loans to begin without a credit check. That's all I'm going to say.

Ordered items: Teenage Engineer KO2 (love it) Akai MPK Mini Plus (also love it)

Pros:
  • No credit check
  • Zero interest
  • Great items
Cons:
  • I have no cons yet with this site and will continue to use it

User's recommendation: Yes, great site and great loan offers!

Scott W Xnc

Verified Reviewer

Missing parts and wrong order

American Musical Supply - Missing parts and wrong order

Extremely dissatisfied with this company on an order. Rebuilding my Strat with a Fishman fluence HSS pickup set up and received unsealed items even though I paid for sealed. Missing hardware that go with the fluence pickups so that they work and overcharged based on what they shipped me. They charged me for sealed items even though they have unsealed items listed on their website that I did not purchase but, that's what they sent me. I thought I was reasonable asking for the discount of what I would've paid had I ordered the unsealed item they had listed which was 20 whole bucks and I wanted the missing parts so I could actually use the pick up system as you need all these parts. I was told that I would not get my $20 back and that I should call Fishman warranty about the missing parts. I guess it doesn't matter that American musical supply sent me unsealed items missing all these parts and overcharging me for what they sent. Our buddy Austin a supervisor in customer service, shouldn't be. Not sure why he's in that position but he never had any intention of giving good customer service. You could tell by the tone and snicker in his voice that he was going to win this phone call. He actually made me feel like I was probably lying about the missing parts. Continually using the words allegedly missing parts allegedly unsealed. All I wanted was my 20 bucks back two potentiometers and a jack, less than $50 he called a customer thief. I would not recommend doing any type of business with them. Their website looks great. They look very transparent. Everything looks great until you have a problem and you need their customer service. You'll run into Austin who will ruin your day over a few bucks. I just spent $300 with your company and you think I'm going to call you in allegedly try to steal $20 worth of potentiometers from you. Unreal terrible customer service.

What bugs me the most is the unreal story that Austin gave me on what an unsealed item was. Apparently just being unsealed is not enough there has to be something wrong with it. The fact that it was unsealed was not unsealed lol what a joke. The fact that it was unsealed means it wasn't factory sealed Austin. You have a listing on your site for $20 less for the unsealed item. Had I wanted the unsealed item I would've spent $20 less. Give me my $20 back. Please fix my Fishman fluence. SSP missing parts. Give good customer service, even if you're not capable of great customer service. What you gave today was nowhere close to even being considered customer service at all in my opinion. It warrants a one star. That's on you Austin.

Date of experience: March 11,2024

Tip for consumers:

Austin shouldn't be a supervisor in customer service. He was prepared for a *** match that he was determined to win even if it meant sacrificing this customer

Loss:
Pros:
  • Great inventory selection
Cons:
  • Austin in customer service

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Sweetwater

AmericanMusical

Hey, Scott! I just gave you a call and left a voicemail.

I would very much like to speak with you to come to a resolution on this issue.

If you give me a call back at (800)458-**** I'll be happy to discuss this further with you. Nick AMS Customer Service Manager

AmericanMusical

Hello, Scott! I'm looking in to this situation to see how I can help! I'll get back to you as soon as I have an update!

View more comments (1)
Glenn Mci

Awful customer service

They didn't even have the decency to inform me that my order had been cancelled. I'll never ever deal with this jokers again.
AmericanMusical

Hello, Glenn! I would like to look in to this further to see if there's anything I can do to help. Can you please provide your order number?

| map-marker Elmhurst, Illinois

Poor packaging on expensive guitar.

American Musical Supply - Poor packaging on expensive guitar.
American Musical Supply - Poor packaging on expensive guitar. - Image 2
For one fed ex sucks. I had left instructions on where to place package, the driver blatantly ignored, thanks to my neighbor who place guitar in his home. Second if Im spending good money for an item ams should take extra steps in shipping prep for item. Product came in flimsy and not entact cardboard box. Not doubled boxed like Sweetwater or even gc would do.
Mike R Xgg

Lawsuit

Unfortunately im forced to file a lawsuit against you for saying no credit check.When you did actually run my credit which reduced my credit score!The man i spoke yo promised me my credit would not be harmed! So if u would like to settle this out of courts all im asking is for my 6 payment plan i asked for.Im sure you would rather that than the 500K cash amount im asking for...AND WILL GET.

Sincere Michael R.

Preferred solution: 500K lawsuite

User's recommendation: Don't trust them

AmericanMusical

Please remember that our 4 and 6 month payment plans do not require a Credit Check. As such, when applying for these payment plans, you are not asked to include your Social Security Number.

Without this, we would not have been able to run a Credit Check. If you were required to include your Social Security Number, then you must have been applying for a payment plan which did require a credit check. Again, we are unable to run Credit Checks unless you have provided your Social Security Number. We would not have access to your Social Security Number unless you had provided it as part of the application for a payment plan which required it.

Ergo, if we ran a Credit Check, it would have been with your consent and with information you would have provided. To look into this in further detail, we will need more information from you to look up your order and your account.

Please contact us at (800) 458-**** so we may investigate this further. Thank you, American Musical Supply

Joel G Osz
map-marker Oakland, New Jersey

Website and limit and sign for package

I have had all positive transactions with AMS - it's perfect for my situation. I do think the website could be better; in particular, when you make payment you see that it went through in fine print at the bottom of the page - if you screenshot it for your own receipt, there I no indication about the amount paid, when it was paid, and the balance is not shown right away.

You don't get an email right away either - one stating that you paid. The combined balance owed is often wrong. It straightens itself out within a day but the payment system and website needs and overhaul. Also, it's 2024 and the prices for everything have gone up, but incomes are the same in this economy.

Maybe the time has come to raise the standard 1500 to 1800. It appears that I am eligible for 12 payment purchase now for items over 1500, but I'm not sure if that means I can spend more than 1500. The website does show that I can pay in 12 months for things that are over 1500 right now. One actual problem is not having option so sign for delivery.

FedEx can be awful and it's a scary situation for me living with a NYC bus stop at my front door. FEDEX LEFT GUITARS AND DIDN'T EVEN RING THE BELL. ONE TIME THEY LEFT A GUITAR AT 1:30 AM AND A GUY UPSTAIRS FOUND IT OUT THERE ON HIS WAY TO WORK AT 5 A.M. We should have option to sign for deliveries.

If nothing changes I will still be a loyal customer. Everything has basically gone smoothly, and I have purchased several guitars and gear.

Pros:
  • Great online store and payment system
Cons:
  • Website and fedex

Preferred solution: changes with website and delivery option to sign for packages

User's recommendation: Ask to add signature to your deliveries.

AmericanMusical

Thank you for your thoughtful review and comments. We hope to work with you again soon!

Lamona Wvm
map-marker Deland, Florida

Charging a removed card that is not on file

They charge a card that is not even on file and made my account go negative, this is ridiculous!! It was a debit card I have in case of a rainy day that I used once and since my main card is declining it had somehow still had the card on file in the system with my account and has made it go negative multiple times I had been sure to remove the card details to have this happening but it's been happening more than it should be which is supposed be NOT AT ALL

User's recommendation: Do not use more than one card

AmericanMusical

We do collect payment as agreed upon at intervals detailed on your account page. We will collect payment from any payment method we have on file.

We would have no way of collecting payment from you if you had not previously provided this method of payment. You are free to update, remove, add, or change payment methods at any time on the "My Account" page on our website. Please review your account to be sure all payment methods included are as you prefer.

If you have further questions about your billing history, please contact our Customer Service Team at (800) 458-**** and request to speak with Account Services. Thank you for your review.

Perfecto Xwr

Worst Online Music Store

this company will make unauthorized withdrawals from your bank or credit card rather than send unpaid balances to collections. They are seriously shady because your account wont say that you have a balance and your items will show as paid in full in your AMS account.

i believe this is a rues in hopes to trick people who may have forgotten a due balance from 4 to 5 years prior. They dont send it to a 3rd party collections agency which leads me to believe they are writing these off Something is NOT right about this kind of biz practice,...this type of practice can leave you missing several mortgage payments. They are predatory and are waiting for customers who may have defaulted on their payment plans to order something from them down the road ...even 5 years later.

Their shady contract seems to give them a right to do this,... but it isnt right...especially when your account will appear to be in good standing so you dont hesitiate to enter your card info

Loss:
$2000

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: stay far away

AmericanMusical

Hello, Thank you for your review. We would like to look into this further with you, but would need additional information to locate your account. Please call us at (800) 458-**** so we may look into this further with you.

Kaitlin G Yqv

Verified Reviewer

Slash guitar and amp kit problems

American Musical Supply - Slash guitar and amp kit problems
Hi my name is Kaitlin glass and I received the slash 2 guitar and amp combo kit from yall 3 days ago and the guitar and amp was playing fine the first 2 minutes then the sound coming through the amp just stopped, I called customer service and was supposed to get a call from someone the next morning but I didnt, please ethier send me a new one or have someone fix this one it was a present for my son and I feel awful now , he is 9 and it was and won his first dirtbike race so he got to get this as a celebration, thank you so , KaitlinGlass. 502-910-**** is my phone number
Pros:
  • Fast shipping and they keep a lot stocked

Preferred solution: I would like to send this slash 2 guitar and amp package back and receive a new one and a small gift card or something

Tim B Cok

*** these people.

These people are crooks and theives. I am deadset on spreading the knowledge that this is not a legitimate business. Anyone who reads this check out the facebook page AMS SH*TSH*W if you want to join and help with the boycott of this crooked joke of a company. We share our experience and promote their competitors. People need to know not to use them and we will put a dent in their business i guarantee that.
Cons:
  • Everyone you can think of

Preferred solution: dont care

User's recommendation: Dont use at any cost

Jimmy C Lhv

| map-marker Olive Branch, Mississippi

Poor service

I'm a returning customer that has bought and paid for equipment all on one card that is in my wife's name, now if i were a new customer first time buyer I can see them wanting to verify the use of the card from my wife, but I've already spent 100s of dollars with this card and paid it all off, so i called to order a guitar that was on sale and the guy on the other end wanted to treat me like a first time customer that isn't acceptable with me
Cons:
  • To many to add

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: good luck

Allen R Mhy

| map-marker Seattle, Washington

Billing errors

About three months ago I removed all methods of payment except Visa ending in 7446 from my American Musical Supply account. However, a Visa ending in 8987 continues to be charged.

Repeated phone calls to your Customer Service Department have failed to correct this. I called again this morning because Visa 8987 was again billed for the payment that was due on October 16th. A short time ago I had an online chat (argument) with one of your customer service representatives.

It did not go well. So, I am writing this to let you know that on November 1st, I will pay the remaining $112.94 balance for Order #R0433432 and after that, will do no more business with American Musical Supply.

User's recommendation: Be very careful using credit cards to pay for merchandise from this company.

Michael R Ctm

| map-marker Charlotte, North Carolina

Cancelled order still ships/ ran my credit/ charged my card - You are wrong

On Friday 03/17/23 @ I called you support line and spoke with Josh who put in a request for cancellation of order R0383488. At the time the order was in a pending status and had not yet been viewed by the credit department.

He advised me that he would put in the cancellation and there would be a 96% chance that the order would be canceled tonight (03/17/23) but if it didn't it would be canceled the following day.

Today around 3pm, I looked at my email and I saw a shipment confirmation stating that the items that I ordered would be shipped at 10:32am . I immediately called support and spoke with Andy. Andy stated that he would attempt to have the package rerouted back to the warehouse but he has to confirm with his manager before doing so that this was a possibility. When he comes back to the line, he states that there is nothing that he can do other than send me a return label and I will have to return the item when they arrive.

He also advised that I would not be refunded until the items arrive back at your warehouse. I requested to speak with a manager as this was not a mistake on my end, this was an AMS issue.

The supervisor named Midge gets on the phone and identifies herself as a supervisor. When she speaks, her initial question to me which throws me off is, "what is the problem". (Customer service rule # 1, when a call is escalated, the manager should already know what the problem is).

I then ask her "Were you not informed of the issue by the previous rep who escalated the call to you. She then says yes. (In the back of my mind, I ask myself, why would you ask me what the problem is, you should already know) I began to explain again. While I explained, I was rudely interrupted on several occasions and was told that the cancellation request didn't go through last night.

My reply, that is not my fault. If I called your company and told you on a recorded line to cancel the order and it ships, you guys run my credit and take money out of my account, the party at fault is AMERICAN MUSICAL SUPPLY.

After getting extremely upset and getting nowhere with Midge, I request to speak with a manager. Midge states that there is no one else there but her. She is it.

I then ask for a name for the manager of the customer support department. She refused to give any additional information.

Midge went on and on about the policy of AMS that there will be no refund given until the items are returned to the warehouse. I responded to her stating that I told you all not to ship it. It is not my fault that your cancellation request didn't go through.

When I called it was within 45 minutes of the online order (18 hours prior to the shipment going out) which is more than enough time to cancel an order.

Midge then states that the items were shipped out via Fedex and they are now closed. I suggested that we at least attempt to call them with me on the phone. She then stated again and again that there was nothing else that she was able to do and that she was not going to call them with me on the line.

I advised her that I am not done speaking with her.

She then hung up the phone. Completely unempathetic and not willing to assist in the screw up that was made by AMERICAN MUSICAL SUPPLY.

User's recommendation: Order fr9m somewhere else

Obryan Nvr

| map-marker Reno, Nevada

Can’t resolve the problem

Unatherized payments and harassing phone calls tryed to resolve a vary simple problem at no secession
Pros:
  • Good product
Cons:
  • Retarded people in billing

Preferred solution: The problem resolved

map-marker Bensalem, Pennsylvania

Product doesn’t work

I ordered 2 Akai keyboards thru them and after 2 months and countless phone calls the product still doesnt work and they refuse to take the product back. Austin the manager is horrible and rude and unresponsive to a customers need..
Drew R Pwm

Old Stock being sold as New

American Musical Supply - Old Stock being sold as New
American Musical Supply - Old Stock being sold as New - Image 2
American Musical Supply - Old Stock being sold as New - Image 3

Purchased a Fender Mustang Player Bass Guitar on Monday, 4/19. Received it on Wednesday, 4/21.

One day later than they advertised.

Opened the box to see a Bass dated 2019. The box showed signs of being opened and resealed.

The strap button was loose and punctured *** in the inner packaging.

Called AMS and they had nothing but excuses and aren't willing to offer more than a $60 discount on a $700 bass. I feel 10-15% off would be a fair discount considering this bass is 2 years old and shows signs that was returned already once from a customer, yet it was sold new and factory sealed to me.

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Avoid this place unless you like paying new price for used gear. I'll stick with Reverb for that.

AmericanMusical

Hello Darrick, Thank you for taking the time to review our services. I'm glad we had the opportunity to speak about your situation and am glad you accepted our offer.

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion with our express shipping. Please keep in mind we are showing an estimated delivery date. If you are looking for a guaranteed shipping time frame for future orders, please be sure to upgrade your shipping. I would also like to clarify that the guitar would not have a specified date of manufacturing.

You could certainly utilize our Serialized Section to be sure what year model you would be receiving. I'm terribly sorry your guitar arrived in this condition. It looks like a packaging failure on a rough trip out to you. Let us know if you have any additional questions; as always our team is here to answer any of your concerns.

Thank you for choosing American Musical Supply! AMS Customer Support (800) 458-4076

Drew R Pwm
reply icon Replying to comment of AmericanMusical

You do not have a serialized section. BS answer.

View more comments (1)

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article